Here are five things you need to know today, Monday, Sept. 3.
1. The Way We Work: In honor of Labor Day, Andover Patch has published two articles about labor in America:The Way We Work: Graduating Job Hunters Play Waiting Game at Home and The Way We Work: Jobs That Are Gone.
2. Labor Day Closures: Find out what's open and what's closed on Labor Day 2012 in Andover in an article at 6 a.m. on Andover Patch.
3. Andover Labor Stats: As of July, the Town of Andover was home to 16,940 employable residents, 16,082 of which were employed. There were a total of 858 unemployed residents in Andover, leaving the town with a unemployment rate of 5.1 percent, according to the Department of Labor and Workforce Development. The unemployment rate in all of Essex County is 6.8 percent.
4. Rising Gas Prices Affect Your Travel? Andover saw an 18 cent rise in gas prices over the past month and Andover Patch is polling readers on whether the rise in fuel costs is affecting your decision to travel this Labor Day.
5. Bread and Roses: Head down to 200 Common Street in Lawrence for the annual Bread and Roses Heritage Festival with music, food and entertainment at 12 p.m.