Summer Projects and Fall Events with Andover Trails
The Andover Trails Committee has been busy this summer and has more lined up for the fall.
This press release was provided by the Andover Trails Committee.
The Andover Trails Committee had a great summer, including several successful guided hikes and tremendous progress on two major construction projects that we are involved with:
- Truss Bridge Project in the Vale Reservation: an 80+ foot truss bridge that's proven to be a labor of love for a dedicated group of volunteers over the last 4 months. A huge thank you goes out to Dave Doub from AVIS for his passion and leadership on this project! See some of the videos of the work in progress at the ATC Youtube site here: http://www.youtube.com/user/AndoverTrails
- Mars Swamp Boardwalk Project in the Ward Reservation: this is a 300+ foot boardwalk / observation station in the Mars Swamp area of the Ward Reservation. Thanks to the untiring efforts of the Adam Rollfs and his band of volunteers from the Trustees of Reservations, this project is more than half-way done and may yet see a ribbon cutting before the snow flies this winter. When complete, this amazing crossing will allow us to move the Bay Circuit Trail off of Prospect Road as well as off of a somewhat treacherous stretch of Route 125.
ANDOVER'S TRAILS in ARTICLES & BLOGS:
- In case you missed it - the AMC recently published a wonderful article about the Bay Circuit Trail (approximately 18 miles of this 200 mile long trail passes through Andover). Here is the link if you'd like to check it out: http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2011/features/boston-area-bay-circuit-trail.cfm
- This just in - a great new blog entry in an outstanding blog that features lots of great commentary and video from Andover's trails - check it out - I'm sure you'll like it! http://baystatements.blogspot.com/2011/09/bay-circuit-trail-andover-village.html
UPCOMING EVENTS (Mark Your Calendars!): With a beautiful autumn season still to come, we hope to see you at one or more of these upcoming events. These are all family-friendly and sure to be fun!
- Saturday, Sept. 24, 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. Andover Historical Society's Equinox Hike on Holt Hill! Join the Andover Historical Society for a hike to the summit of Holt Hill, the highest point in Essex County, via an easy to moderate trail, suitable for walkers of all ages. Along the way, local historians and special guests will recount stories of the Holt family, whose members have lived near this hill for five centuries. Free and open to the public as a Trails & Sails 10th Anniversary event. For questions or to express interest, please contact Jane Cairns at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday, Oct 8thFamily Camping along the Shawsheen River! Great family camping right along the Shawsheen River in Andover. Drive right to the site - bring canoes, kayaks and fishing gear if desired. Some camping experience is helpful but not mandatory. Plenty of split seasoned red oak for the fire. For questions or to express interest, please contact Bob Decelle at email@example.com
- Sunday, Oct. 9 at 1 p.m. Old Fashion 1911 Family Picnic! Enjoy a true 1911 family event at Serio's Grove in Ballardvale. Recreating nostalgic times, the Shawsheen River Watershed Association will provide canoes for those wanting to enjoy the river. Andover's Bill Burtles will entertain with tunes from the turn of the century. 1911 era games will challenge both children and adults alike. Picnic table are on the site, or bring a blanket and spread out on the soft pine needles in the Grove! For questions or to express interest, please contact Bob Decelle at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday, Oct. 15, 9 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Ward Reservation Family Hike Hike to summit of Holt Hill! Holt Hill is the highest point in Essex County with view of Boston skyline. Picnic at solstice stones. 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Hiking boots, bring water and snacks. From I-93 Exit 41, take Rt. 125 North 5 mi . Turn right onto Prospect Rd. and follow for 0.3 mi. to entrance and parking on right. Joint with Harvard Club of Andover. Storm cancels. Please note that this is an AMC event. For questions or to express interest, please contact leader Richard Soo Hoo at (978) 470-2293 or at email@example.com