Think Pink: Breast Cancer Awareness Events in Andover
From galas to walks to shopping, here's how you can participate, pledge support and donate to the cause in Andover and throughout the state.
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and whether you love to shop, attend events, walk or run, there are tons of different ways to support the cause. Check out the list below of opportunities to go pink in TOWN and beyond:
- Downtown clothing retailer Lyn Evans Potpourri Designs is teaming up with the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer fundraiser, operated by the American Cancer Society, and will be holding two breast cancer fundraisers in October.
- The first is Oct. 5 and is coinciding with the Christopher Blue Trunk Show at the Andover store. For every trunk sold, a representative from Christopher Blue will donate $5 toward the Lyn Evans team goal.
- The second event is on Oct. 10 and is an in-store shopping fundraiser with raffles and other activities.
- Salvatore's Restaurant, which will be opening in Andover this fall, is holding a month long breast cancer fundraiser at the their four locations, including the Lawrence location at 354 Merrimack St. They'll be donating a percentage of each sweet panna cotta dessert dish sold during the entire month of October to the Ellie Fund, an organization that provides free cancer support services to residents in Massachusetts.
- Andover resident and swimmer Charley Lei participated in a breast cancer fundraising swim last month and is still raising month for the cause. Visit his website to donate.
In addition to these Andover events, residents from across the state will be participating in the following two events this fall.
- Addicted to Zumba? Join other Zumba enthusiasts at the Party in Pink™ Zumbathon® in Brookline, MA, and enjoy a workout while making your donation.
- If cycling’s more your thing, head to Tallahassee, FL, Cedar Rapids, IA, Cambridge, MN or Nashua, NH for the 7th annual bike ride, held by various bike shops to spread breast cancer awareness.
There are even more ways to spread breast cancer awareness this month by supporting national organizations that are fighting for a cure.
Research centers like Susan G. Komen for the Cure are selling pink ribbon merchandise and it’s a twofer — retail therapy and donating to a cause that affects millions.
You can also support breast cancer research by affixing a special stamp to your mail. The U.S. Postal Service has been selling a stamp commemorating breast cancer awareness for the past 15 years. The agency has raised $75 million so far for research programs at the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense.
The American Cancer Society’s annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk is organized nationwide and so far more than 8 million people have walked for this cause and raised about $460 million.
TELL US: Is there a special event you participate in to support breast cancer research? Share your stories and thoughts with us by adding them to the comments sections of this article. Also, be sure to add photos of you and your friends supporting the cause to the photo gallery above.