Invite a friend
The Great Penguin Rescue
Penguin expert and author Dyan deNapoli will be giving a presentation about the rescue of 40,000 penguins from the Treasure oil spill in South Africa. Dyan was a member of the first team of penguin experts to fly to Cape Town to train and supervise 12,500 volunteers who came to save the oiled birds. This talk will include photos taken during the rescue effort. Her book about this event, The Great Penguin Rescue, was selected as a Silver Award Winner in the 2011 Nautilus Book Awards, was a 'Must-Read' book in the 2011 Massachusetts Book Awards, and was named "One of the best sci-tech books of 2010' by Library Journal. The author will have signed books available following her presentation.
Sponsored by the Friends of MHL.
Please register for this program online or by calling 978-623-8401, x31.
More About Memorial Hall Library
The Memorial Hall Library is Andover's public library and consists of three floors with children's, fiction, non-fiction, reference, computer and meeting areas. The library underwent a $5.2 million expansion in 1985, nearly doubling in size, and installed its first "reference" computers in 1989. The library provides programs for all ages and is beginning to offer more video, audio and e-book files available for download, in addition to roughly 130,000 audio and video materials and roughly 200,000 print materials. The library director is Beth Mazin, who library trustees appointed in 2009. The building remains one of the larger libraries in the area.
Other events here
- State Representative Jim Lyons Andover Office Hours Tue, May 28, 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Teen Night at the Movies Weekly on Wednesdays, 6:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Creative Cafe: monthly craft night Mon, Jun 3, 7:00 pm
- Nonfiction Book Group Wed, Jun 5, 7:30 pm
- The Beehive: Authors Among Us Thu, Jun 6, 12:00 pm–2:00 pm
- The Beehive: eBook How-To Tue, Jun 11, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Great Books Tue, Jun 11, 7:30 pm
- The Beehive: Rug Hooking Demonstration Wed, Jun 12, 10:00 am–11:00 am
- Critique Group Wed, Jun 12, 7:00 pm
- The Beehive: Boomer Bee Book Group Thu, Jun 13, 7:00 pm