Invite a friend
Women in Islam
Islam is a diverse and growing global religion that touches the lives, cultures, societies, and histories of billions of people. Popular media often presents Islam through the lens of five second sound bites and cookie cutter images. These stereotypes overlook the dynamic pluralism that shapes Muslim communities.
In the age of globalization Islam is also transitioning like other religions, as it encounters new economic, social, and political realities. This presentation will focus on the diversity of Muslim Communities in the world. Presented by Subheen Razzaqui, history teacher at Newton North High School and speaker on Islam and the Middle East for the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Harvard University.
Sponsored by the Friends of Memorial Hall Library.
More About Memorial Hall Library
The Memorial Hall Library is Andover's public library and consists of three floors with children's, fiction, non-fiction, reference, computer and meeting areas. The library underwent a $5.2 million expansion in 1985, nearly doubling in size, and installed its first "reference" computers in 1989. The library provides programs for all ages and is beginning to offer more video, audio and e-book files available for download, in addition to roughly 130,000 audio and video materials and roughly 200,000 print materials. The library director is Beth Mazin, who library trustees appointed in 2009. The building remains one of the larger libraries in the area.
Other events here
- State Representative Jim Lyons Andover Office Hours Tue, May 28, 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Teen Night at the Movies Weekly on Wednesdays, 6:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Creative Cafe: monthly craft night Mon, Jun 3, 7:00 pm
- Nonfiction Book Group Wed, Jun 5, 7:30 pm
- The Beehive: Authors Among Us Thu, Jun 6, 12:00 pm–2:00 pm
- The Beehive: eBook How-To Tue, Jun 11, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Great Books Tue, Jun 11, 7:30 pm
- The Beehive: Rug Hooking Demonstration Wed, Jun 12, 10:00 am–11:00 am
- Critique Group Wed, Jun 12, 7:00 pm
- The Beehive: Boomer Bee Book Group Thu, Jun 13, 7:00 pm